Pignoli (Italian Pine Nut Cookies)
The Italians love these crispy on the outside and soft on the inside cookies made of almonds and pine nuts, which are baked and enjoyed especially during the Christmas season. We love Italian flair during Christmas time and so we indulge in this delicious treat, baked in our noble Blechrein Black, without remorse.
Recipe for 15 Pignoli:
160 g (1 cup + 1 ½ tbsp) of ground almonds (blanched)
140 g (1 cup) of powdered sugar
75 g (3/4 cup) pine nuts
1 tsp of liquid honey
- Separate the egg. Beat the egg whites until stiff and add icing sugar, ground almonds and honey to form a dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for approx. 1 hour.
- Cut out 8x8 cm squares out of Blechrein Black. Preheat the oven to 200 °C (375 ° F).
- Form walnut size balls out of the dough. Whisk the egg yolk and dip the balls in it, then cover with pine nuts and press well.
- Place the dough balls in the center of the baking paper sqaures and press them into a mini muffin tin.
- Bake Pignoli for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown and allow to cool.
Baked in Blechrein Black